Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Collins did a fabulous job! What a great ending to The Hunger Games trilogy. The plot had many little unexpected moments that thrust Katniss into difficult situations. I felt the secondary characters really came to life in Mockingjay. They all had important roles to play. The love triangle endures until the choice becomes clear to Katniss who, finally able to let the “act” drop for the cameras, can make up her own mind. I think she made the right choice.

I feel like I need to defend Katniss, our heroine. I know most people enjoyed Mockingjay but I’ve seen a few reviews of some who didn’t like it. They thought there was not enough gore or that Katniss became weak and allowed herself to be bullied. I didn’t find either circumstance to be true, especially the later.

What I liked about Mockingjay:

***************************Mild Spoiler Alert*****************************

-It gave a fairly realistic look at what happens to someone who goes through a traumatic experience. The truth is, that unless one is cold hearted, then killing someone, even in self-defense, is going to affect a person. Also, knowing someone you love is in constant danger is hard to cope with. I’ve been a military wife. I know what I’m talking about. But I can’t imagine having to watch someone I love be used and abused.

-When you’re sick physically, emotionally and psychologically it is easier to be taken advantage of. Even if Katniss had been unscathed by her circumstances it still would be difficult to know who to trust and how to act. What was a 17 year old to do? Spit in the face of district 13 who gave her people shelter just because she had suspicions? I don’t think so. 

******************************End Spoiler*********************************
Throughout the series, but especially in Mockingjay, I liked the focus on media. Almost as much as on the battle field, the war for the districts is waged on television. Katniss’ appearances on T.V. cause the balance of power to rock back and forth. The Fourth Estate, the watchdog, a.k.a. the media, is supposed to watch out for the interests of Everyman. But who’s watching the watchdog? I like the opportunities this series gives 
kids to think of larger issues in our society. 

Publisher: Scholastic, 2010           Pages: 390
Rating: 5 Stars                                 Source: I won this book from The Nerd’s Wife! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what you said about Katniss. It might not have been everyone's favorite portrayal of her but I think it was spot on for the reasons you mentioned.

    I hadn't considered media in the way you mention here, but I think it's interesting to look at when we consider how intense media coverage is in our own world.

    Also, I'm having an event at The Mill next semester. It's a new book club called Stories and Steins. I'd love it if you could come! And if you can't then please tell any book lovers you know! Here is the event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=147295985319640

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'll definitely try to make it!

    ReplyDelete