Thursday, November 18, 2010

Review: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney

Change is in the air. Greg is excited for boy-girl parties and learning about "the facts of life" in his Advanced Health class. But growing up can be a little overwhelming. What's he to do without his best friend, Rowley, at his side? Will he starve to death when his mom goes back to school?  Greg begins to realize that maybe he shouldn't be in such a hurry to grow up. I mean, Greg + Responsibility = disaster waiting to happen.

Greg makes a lot of honest mistakes in The Ugly Truth. In the previous books, Greg makes deliberate plans to cut corners or shirk responsibility. Other times he couldn't help but be a prankster. But in this book we see how hard learning to be responsible is for a free spirit like Greg. The idea is so foreign to him. Greg's growing up whether he wants to or not. He tries and often fails at the most simple of tasks... but isn't that a part of growing up? Slowly, Greg begins to realize how hard being an adult is and how much he has to be thankful for. Of course, Greg does not verbalize this. Instead he gives a sigh of relief when he realizes he has supportive parents to fall back on. But that's what adolescence should be about - testing your wings in a safe environment.

I liked The Ugly Truth more than the previous book, Dog Days. Rowley and Greg are still at odds but they can't hold out much longer. I laughed a lot so if you need a humor break this book should do the trick. My favorite "episodes" were the trip to the dentist, the maid bit, and the miscommunication concerning an elbow.

This is the fifth book in the Wimpy Kid series. You can read my mini reviews of books 1-4 here. They're great books for reluctant readers or anyone with a sense of humor. I wonder if Kinney will continue with a 6th. I'm hoping for one more. Do guys think he should write one  more or should he stop while Greg's young?

Publisher: Amulet, 2010    Pages: 217     Source: IC Public Library
Rating: 4 Stars     Recommended Age: 9 and up

2 comments:

  1. I've never read these books but my nephew, who is in 2nd grade, reads them. They got him interested in reading. I'm kind of thankful for these books. I think kids should read more instead of playing video games. It only takes one great-can't-put-down book to get someone into reading. I want to read these books so I can "discuss" it with him-yep i'm going to talk about books with a 7 yr old...haha
    Have a great weekend :)
    Caroline @ Bon Bons and Reveries

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of my little cousins like to reads these books, too. They're funny and have lots of funny cartoons that make reading a good experience for kids who have a hard time devoting their attention to a book.

    ReplyDelete