Friday, November 5, 2010

Culling the Reader: My Reactions to Lost "Followers"

I wasn't planning on doing the Hop today but this week's Book Blogger Hop question is a good one! "What are your feelings on losing followers? Have you ever stopped following a blog?"
 
Loosing followers is sad but I realize people's readers fill up, their interests change and my blog may not be what they're looking for anymore. I've lost a few and the first time I was really really sad. I thought about it all day. What did I do wrong? What's wrong with my blog? What if no one's reading my stuff anymore! Then I realized what I care about is a) writing my thoughts out for me because writing does me good and b) getting comments from readers who may say "Nice review" or "I've been thinking about this issue, too." That's the good stuff regardless of how many Google followers I have. 
 
On comments: I have a separate email just for The Prairie Library. Every time I receive a new comment it goes straight to my email and my Blackberry. So, whether I'm walking to work or watching TV, I see what  you have to say. I LOVE getting comments from you all! They brighten my day. Thanks to everyone who reads my posts and an especially big thanks to those who comment and share your thoughts. You make this blogging experience wonderful!

Do I ever stop following? Yes, on occasion. Usually the blogger stops posting for a month. Or, the content has changed or my tastes have changed. I don't feel bad. If I never read or comment on their posts then there's no use following! I know the blog writer will probably be sad like I usually am but hopefully they'll come to the same conclusions that I have.

11 comments:

  1. Stopping by on the Hop (and a follower)! I'm like you, the first time I lost a follower I was all "What did I do or didn't I do?" But I realize that I started the blog for me and I just need to keep doing it for me. If it please other people too, then that's a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to lose a follower, but I know that it can happen! :( But as long as we're enjoying it for ourselves! Here's my Hop: Coffee and a Book Chick -- Blog Hop...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I did the Hop for the same reason as you, because of the great question. I think it hurts just a bit to lose a follower, but all of us (probably) have experienced this, which makes the question so pertinent. I am already a follower of your terrific blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping by to say hello. I'm already a follower. The "basic" computer book sounds very helpful. I struggle each step of the way. (Even so, I want to get it for my son so he'll do the technical work for me.)
    Susan from Reading World

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopping by to say hello --- I liked your response, and agree about losing followers. At first, I felt really awful. And then, I reminded myself that I'm not alone out there -- it happens to everyone.

    Looking forward to reading what you have to say about Scorch Trials !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, losing followers is part of blogging and people's preference changes eventually. It's nice when readers give feedbacks and suggestions. I also have like a formsprings for comments and suggestions aside from email and the comment box. :)

    -Len of Musings of a Reader Happy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm on wordpress, so it's hard to figure out who exactly follows me. they might subscribe via e-mail. they might subscribe to just one post. I might be in their google reader, i might be in their favorites, they might follow me via facebook or twitter.

    and i don't keep track of any of it. I'm kinda antisocial that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I didn't do the hop, but I think this is an awesome question! I stop following people somewhat regularly. I just don't have a ton of time, and I only want to follow blogs that I really LOVE and want to read. I've had people stop following me a few times, but it honestly didn't really bother me. I feel like the follower # almost isn't real, b/c I mainly just consider the people who comment to be my followers. Does that make sense? It bugs me when people follow a billion blogs just to get more people to follow them, so I would really prefer that those people didn't follow me in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    I'm making my rounds on the Blog Hop and Follow Friday too say hello and share the love. I really try to be a faithful follower that visits often but I don't always have the time to comment like I should. I hope you have a spectacular weekend and Happy Reading.

    I'm a old follower.
    Romance Book Junkies

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've really enjoyed reading your blog. I often share things you've posted with people at my favorite coffee shop. It has been a segue to some great conversations with otherwise strangers to me. This morning at the cafe a woman loaned me a copy of a book she's been reading. She what you started? Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate losing a follower. Like you a spend the rest of my day wondering what I did wrong. In some ways maybe it's good though, because it forces me to constantly make my blog better.

    ReplyDelete