Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Top 10 Books I Feel As Though Everyone Has Read But Me

Here is my very first Top 10 meme! Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Check it out!

Top 10 Books I Feel As Though Everyone Has Read But Me

The Great Gatsby – there’s something about a Daisy and a Gatsby and I know not what else. I have this notion that the story is depressing and so I haven’t bothered with it but I do feel out of the loop for not having read it.

Catch 22 – same sentiments as above.

Fahrenheit 451 – the classic dytopian novel about censorship. Sounds good but I just can’t bring myself to crack the cover. Speaking of which, the cover sucks.

Eat, Pray, Love – Everyone was talking about it and now no one is. I did see the movie and liked it but not enough to read to the book.

Vampire Academy – this one is waiting on my shelf until I’m done with school and my brain is fried and I will neither notice nor care about cheesiness as I suspect this book may be susceptible to though I could be wrong.

The Devil in the White City – murder at the Chicago’s world fair. It sounds awesome. I saw Larson speak and he was awesome. I tried the book but it moves painstakingly slow. There's TMI about every little detail.
Hamlet – there’s a ghost. That’s all I know. It mocks me every time I walk past my bookcase. I will never be good at Jeopardy until I’ve read this play.

Things Fall Apart – what is this book? I don’t know but I can’t escape references to it.

Outlander – the great Scottish historical romance. I picked up a discarded and falling apart copy from the library. It looks good.

The Lovely Bones – This isn’t something I’d normally choose but I’ve heard such good things. This also waits on my shelf.

13 comments:

  1. I have read some of these, although I've never tried the Outlander books. Your post makes me think of books that everyone seems to like, but I don't (like Catcher in the Rye). :)

    Agree with your comment about the cover art for the Bradbury book -- not eye-catching or enticing at all. And it's too bad, because it's a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any but I am interested in Lovely Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo - I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that cover isn't the best! So drab. But I do like dystopias so I'll try to keep an open mind. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure one of my friends is going to foist Eat, Pray, Love on me in the future, so it'll get read eventually. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely recommend Outlander. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Several of my friends are soooo into "Outlander," but I keep resisting (plus it's my year of all YA books). I read "Things Fall Apart" both in high school and college; it's definitely worth reading, even if you're not taking a post-colonialism lit class :-) My husband loves Eric Larson's books, but I can't vouch for them personally except to say that my husband is a very picky reader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only read Outlander this year and it deserves all the praise, and Hamlet is a must-read, too. I have yet to read Eat, Pray, Love and Vampire Academy. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I started Outlander, but just haven't gotten past the first 3 chapters. I still intend to, but it's so long, it scares me.

    Hamlet is a must read! My favorite Shakespeare play, it's riveting. A total masterpiece! The Great Gatsby is awesome, too. I wouldn't say it's too depressing. The people just disappoint, is all, 'cause they're very realistic, people.

    Thanks for visiting my blog earlier today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I highly recommend "Outlander" and "Fahrenheit 451", both are excellent books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read Gatsby, Hamlet and Lovely Bones. Didn't like Lovely Bones, and the other two were required readings in high school so that doesn't truly count, I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great books... one day I'll get around to reading them, LOL.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've read most of these, and they're all good in different ways (except The Great Gatsby, that's just horrible).

    I wasn't a huge fan of 451, but there are some pretty amazing parts -- and of course the theme is close to most readers' hearts.

    Ah Hamlet. Shakespeare's always worth reading. Except maybe Titus Andronicus. There's a reason no one performs that play.

    ReplyDelete